The Bridges over the Usk on a Fonmag Walk, 29th June 2021
The Bridges over the Usk on a Fonmag Walk, 29th June 2021
Edith McCarron |
If it wasn’t for the tidal properties of the Usk we would not need so many bridges so Newport is in a very unique situation and also so many of them have won awards. We need the bridges because the Usk has the largest recorded tidal range for a city anywhere in the world and is tidal as far as Newbridge on Usk. The name probably came from the Welsh 'Wysg' meaning water. The Romans called it Isca.
The Usk Railway Bridge
Copyright: Ace McCarron |
It was opened to traffic in 1850. It crosses the River Usk in an east - west direction, carrying the Great Western Main Line. However, the original bridge was constructed for the South Wales Railway and was designed by the railway engineer, Isambard Kingdom Brunel. Brunel's viaduct, was primarily constructed of creosote-treated timber and suffered a catastrophic fire near completion, on 31st May 1848, resulting in a substantial delay due to rebuilding. Brunel’s redesigned structure used considerably more wrought iron in place of wood, and included the first use of the now-common bow-string-shaped girder. This is a steel, concrete, or timber beam or girder shaped in the form of a bow from which vertical girders are suspended to the deck below.
The Brunel bridge is not the bridge used today
During the late 1880s, a second bridge was constructed alongside the first, which when compared with the first bridge benefitted from a simpler design. During the 1910s, the second bridge was extended to accommodate a quadruple track enabling the original bridge to be retired in 1925. During 2019, the lines across the second bridge were electrified as part of the upgrade of the Great Western Main Line. You can also access the Fonmag Blog accessed via the website which has an interesting post by Richard Frame about the tunnel construction needed to enable the line to move on to Cardiff.
Newport's early road bridge
Coxe's Tour in Monmouthshie Vol. 1. Illustration by Sir Richard Colt Hoare. 'Bridge and Castle at Newport' |
The first stone bridge was a bridge of five arches, erected in the year 1800 by David Edwards the son of William Edwards who built the famous Pontypridd arched bridge. It was widened and improved in 1866 by adding footpaths on both sides.
The original foundation stone bearing the inscription "This bridge was erected at the expense of the County by David Edwards and his two sons William and Thomas was set by mistake onto the stonework of Caerleon Bridge which was also constructed by the Edwards family.
See Peter Browns' Newport's Town Bridge, The First Stone Bridge At Newport (1900-1927) in Newport Past
http://www.newportpast.com/bridges/town_bridge/stone_1.php
The Clarence Road Bridge
Newport Bridge: Edith McCarron looking east |
Newport Bridge also known as Clarence Bridge Copyright; Ace McCarron looking east |
Newport Bridge also known as Clarence Bridge Copyright; Ace McCarron looking west |
The wharfs
Looking across to the East bank of the Usk, one can see the site of the wharf where the paddle steamers berthed. On Monday 11th August 1856, John Frost returned to Newport for the first time in 17 years. He arrived from Bristol about 3pm that afternoon on a steam packet named the Swift. He landed on the wharf on the east side of Newport and a group of men met him with a carriage, and removed the horses and dragged him over the bridge and through the town. This was a typical greeting showing respect at the time. Scroll down to see more on a blog by Ray Stroud on this event.
The Blue Plaque place on the bridge by Newport Civic Society states that the wharf was closed in the 1950s.
Looking
at the Monmouthshire Merlin for 1861 Bristol and Newport Steam
Packet Company operated a Screw Packet from Beaufort Wharf. This would have
been close to Screw Packet lane on the West side. The steamer went to Milford and Cork. At
Rodney Wharf a paddle steamer went to Cardiff, Bristol Ilfracombe, Bideford
and Lynmouth.
Newport City Footbridge was designed for pedestrians and bicycles
The Footbridge: copyright Ace McCarron
The striking A-frame elements of
the bridge are formed of two pairs of tapered tubular steel masts
that support a 145-metre-long aluminium deck. The deck is totally supported from the west bank of the river. Formed of five
elements that correspond to the cable stay pattern overhead, the deck transfers
loads to ground level through two cables, each 120 mm in diameter, which act as
stays for the tall masts.
All components were pre-fabricated and assembled,
allowing the bridge to be erected in just over one week. The crane-like masts
recall the river’s history of commercial trading and allow the deck to
float 4.1 m above the mean tide level – a significant consideration for the
great tidal fluctuations of this body of water. Mass dampers to masts and deck
mitigate undue movement and are the result of extensive vibration analysis to
ensure public safety.
Edith McCarron |
The George St Bridge
Edith McCarron |
Edith McCarron |
Here we are at the end of the walk from which we could see the City Bridge and the Transporter Bridge in the distance.
City Bridge
Newport’s
new 190m steel arch bridge carries the Southern Distributor Road
over the River Usk connecting Duffryn on the west side of Newport and the
M4 (J24) at the Coldra Roundabout.
Significantly this landmark bridge is located between the Transporter Bridge (one of only two of its type still in operation) and the George Street Bridge (the first cable stayed highway bridge in the UK). Accordingly a steel arch was developed in order to add to the City’s family of different bridge types and celebrate Newport’s industrial steel heritage. In 2005 the bridge was recognised by The Structural Steel Design Awards. for its Bow string Art Design
The judges said of the bridge: "The Usk crossing symbolises the best in British bridge engineering. It combines an elegant design, high quality fabrication and innovative construction. Newport has gained not only another much-needed river crossing, but has gained an elegant steel structure in the process."
Transporter Bridge which opened in 1906 could be seen in the distance.
Our members discussed if they had been brave enough to walked along the top walkway. It is now closed and the site will remain closed until Spring 2023. Our members looked forward to it reopening following a restoration and the construction of a new visitor centre.
https://www.newport.gov.uk/heritage/en/Transporter-Bridge/Transporter-Bridge.aspx |
Copyright: Ace McCarron |
There has been plenty of focus on the Transporter Bridge. Click on the link below to see more information.
Source
https://www.newport.gov.uk/heritage/en/Transporter-Bridge/Transporter-Bridge.aspx
Back in Time: The mid 20th Century - 1954
The Usk from Newport Bridge; Alfred Edwin Morris (1894-1971)
He was the Bishop of Monmouth and Archbishop of Wales.
Copyright: Newport Museum and Art Gallery
Comments
Post a Comment